Monday, 28 May 2012

Homemade Butter and Hummus.

Hello Dear Readers,

Yesterday I made butter:

All I did was put 2 cartons of double cream from aldi into my mixer, added about half a teaspoon of salt, and turned it on to beat for about 5 minutes until the butter had formed lumps and the buttermilk was sloshing about. I then gathered the butter into 3 balls squeezing any remaining buttermilk out and voila!

We were pottering in the garden on and off all day yesterday so had an easy meal of baked potato, (with my homemade butter) some salad and grated cheese and mayo on top. (Sorry forgot to take photos).

I now have a bowl of buttermilk which I will use when I bake some bread later today.  

The Hummus I made today was from this book


I used it as a guide.
2 tins of chickpeas into a bowl.


I sploshed in some lime juice as I have no lemon juice.

Then I finely chopped 2 cloves of garlic. They had started to sprout so I will probably plant a few cloves
 and hope they grow, I've never grown garlic before.

I then added 3 tbsp of olive oil (from aldi) and the same of tahini paste.Season to taste and mix together until smooth.

Great with baked potatoes or as I just had as a dip with quavers yum :)

My girls are being little darlings and providing us with plenty of eggs and now I am wondering if they can be frozen in any way like maybe shelled and put into pots ready for baking at a later date. Does anyone know? Any ideas gratefully received.

Bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. Yes you can freeze eggs but not in the shell . Break into a bowl and beat lightly freeze in amounts that you would normally use and Mark container so you know how many eggs are in container . Defrost in the fridge before using .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mother noah. I suspected you could do something like that. I would use them for baking but it is too hot at the moment to have the oven on too much.

      Delete