Monday, 19 March 2012

Jam! and sprouting seeds.

Here's a pic of my first homemade jam.
In a previous post I mentioned that I had just aquired a Maslin pan and this is the first time I have managed to use it.

It's Apple and Plum using the recipe on the box that the Maslin pan came in.

Recipe

750 g    Apples  peeled and cored
750 g    Plums
450 ml  Water
1.5 kg    Sugar
1    tsp   Salt

Wash plums and place in the Maslin pan with the apples and water.
Cook the fruit slowly until the skins of the plums are softened.
Add the sugar, stir over low heat until dissolved, bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached.
Remove the stones as they rise to the surface, ( I think it's best to do this before cooking myself).
Remove from the heat, skim (I didn't), pot, cover and label.
Upon typing this I realise I didn't use the salt as it doesn't mention when to add this so I forgot.
I got 6 and a half varying sized jars out of it.

My youngest was chomping at the bit to taste this on some crusty bread she had ready but I did manage to make her wait until it was cooled down a bit :)
Her verdict: tasty.
That's the first time I have made jam in decades and I'm quite proud of it.



I recently found this lovely classic mixer in A£di for £34 so I'm going to make a Lemon drizzle cake today (like frugal queen and frugal wife in fife.)

I've already used it to make butter and it's great. That reminds me I need to make some more butter.

Will post photos if it turns out ok.


Bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. coorrrrr, lovellllllllleeeeeeeeeeey and niiiiiiiiice! what a brilliant day you've had xx froogs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your sprouter, it's great having fresh sprouts to add to salads, sandwiches and soups etc.

    ReplyDelete