Friday, 3 February 2012

Spare a Thought For The Homeless.

Hello,

I couldn't sleep yesterday evening, and decided to go to the supermarket around midnight instead of going there today.

You all know how cold it is at the moment, and |I was driving through the High Street and saw 3 Homeless men lying down in a shop doorway. It really upset me as we are all moaning about how cold it is but they are actually trying to sleep outside on concrete!

I decided to buy a packet of Pasties and some bottles of fruit flavoured water for them.

After shopping, I drove back to town and parked over the road then I got a bit apprehensive about approaching them but I needn't have worried as they were extremely polite and very thankful.

I  wish there was something more I could do. 

I think that it is morally wrong that in the 4th richest country in the world (I believe that is what we are) in 2012 that some people have nowhere to live. And what is worst, is that other people have homes standing empty.

Spare a thought for them. It's so cold out there.

6 comments:

  1. If every body did something, people in the most desperate need would feel loved and have self worth. Thank you, thank you, thank you for what you did xxxx People who need love the most always appear to deserve it the least. What you did was show compassion. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very thought provoking post. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all very much for your comments.

      I wonder if you have any other ideas of what I could give them to help them, I wondered about a blanket or something.But I wonder how or where they store it in the daytime as they couldn't be carrying them around with them?

      It's forecast to snow tonight, we're all cold so I dread to think what it will be like for them outside.

      You would think that the council would have helped them in this weather.

      Delete
  3. Yes, a very emotional suject.

    Remember near us, some young people, maybe early 20s, were trying to survive in a shelter made of whatever they could find beach-combing.
    Bit of an adventure in warm dry weather, but Cumbria's not often warm or dry, and a couple of days persistent rain saw them in desperate condition.
    Nobody would offer help because they were drug addicts who had been thrown out of too many rented properties for non-payment of rent and stealing the copper pipes out of the rented properties to sell to fund the next fix.
    Dunno what happened to them, they disappeared one day.

    A very difficult situation, I can't see any easy (or even not-so-easy) answers.

    The hardest thing about living rough is keeping clean, think about it, where can you get washed / showered / shaved / wash clothes, or even use the toilet?
    But you can hardly give them a bath-tub, so something warm to eat or drink is probably the best thing.

    The council's not really bothered, unless thay fit into any of their pigeon holes. I beleive they have a statutory duty to provide accommodation to some people, but I don't know the rules. You could maybe find out from your local council.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment.

      It's certainly a difficult one.

      Think I will just pop up town when I can with food and drink.

      Delete