Sunday, 29 January 2012

Rice Pudding and Batch Cooking.

I've been awake since 5 this morning and this is who I found looking very contented and comfy on my bed. She is 13 years old and I think she is looking good.

I couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to put a Rice Pudding on in the Slow Cooker.
Had to give it a stir at the beginning and then again half way through.

This is the recipe for 4.5 Litres:

40g Butter 

150g Pudding Rice

150g Sugar

1 1/2 Litres Milk

pinch Nutmeg

Butter the inside of the Ceramic Bowl in your Slow cooker, Add all the ingredients and stir.

cook for 3 or 4 hours  on Medium.

For 2.5 Litres Mixture the following amounts apply:

25g Butter

100g Pudding Rice

100g Sugar

1 Litre Milk.

Pinch Nutmeg

I plan to freeze most of it for another day as I already have a Coconut Loaf Cake I've taken out of the freezer for today.

I also had some pre-cooked Veggie Mince which I have taken out to defrost and plan to make 4 Lasagnes and a family sized Shepherds Pie later today. I plan to add a tin of Baked Beans to make it stretch.

Whilst I'm waiting for it to defrost I am researching Quail as I am thinking of getting a few for the eggs. My chickens are in a 9 ft by 9ft enclosure and I also have a large Chicken Ark which I am thinking I could also in the enclosure (to keep them safe from Mr. Fox) and wonder how many quail I could keep in it.

If anyone has any advice about this I would welcome your comments.

Back later hopefully after cooking with photos. 

6 comments:

  1. no idea about the Quail sorry.

    It seems as thoug a lot of people in blogland have been batch cooking this weekend,

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I noticed hardup hester did one. Guess it's because more people have more time at the weekend.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for popping into my blog.
    Re- Quail advice, Try Lottie on Lotties' Artful Journey, she also has a blog for her allotment, Allotment Lady. Both can be found on my blog following list.

    I do hope you get some!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, thanks for your comment. I will try asking lottie :)

      Delete
  3. I think I'll have a go at this as I've got some frozen cauli in the freezer. Today I concocted leek and potato soup and it's all gone. Love from Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Previous comment was from 'mum' I accidently deleted it so I've had to copy and paste I to publish it above.

      I still have some leeks left from the farm shop and plan to make leek and potato soup. It's one of my favourites :)

      Delete