Sunday, 22 January 2012

Homemade Butter and Buttermilk.

Hello DearReaders,

Yesterday I made butter and thought that fellow bloggers would like to know how easy it is to make.

I got the idea after watching a cooking programme on channel 4 called The Fabulous Baker Boys.

If you like cooking I suggest you take a look at it as they are great to watch and have some good, easy recipes.

All you need is a tub of double cream and an electric mixer, and salt if you prefer it slightly salted.

I used two 600ml tubs of double cream and it made approx 1lb of butter.

All you have to do is whisk the cream for about 5 minutes until it changes colour and forms  lumps and squeeze it together to remove the buttermilk. Then rinse in a bowl of cold water, shake any water off and when its dry wrap in greaseproof paper.  I cut mine into 2 and put 1 in the freezer and the other one in the fridge. It tastes lovely and I have the satisfaction of having made it myself. I used the buttermilk to make soda bread.

I'm off for now but will take a photo and add it on later. 

2 comments:

  1. i made some not so long ago, always on the look out for reduced price cream.
    nto
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds simple enough, I inadvertently made some when I was a child, I beat the cream so much it went over into butter, was my mum cross because we were supposed to be having the cream on our pudding.

    ReplyDelete