Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Frugal Creamy Cauliflower Soup

I found this recipe a day or two ago  on 'Simply Cooked' Blog and decided I would try it out today.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
serves 6
adapted from The New Canadian Basics Cookbook

2 large leeks, white and light green parts only
1 large onion
1 large potato
1 large head of cauliflower (about 750 g)
2 T (30 g) butter
4 c (1 L) vegetable stock
1/2 c (125 ml) milk
parsley leaves, to garnish

Slice the leeks. Roughly chop the onion.
Peel and dice the potato. Chop the cauliflower into florets.
Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the leeks and onion and let cook over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the potato, cauliflower, and stock.
Bring to the boil and let simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
Remove the soup from the heat. Puree using an immersion blender or in a counter-top blender. (Let the soup cool a little if using a counter-top blender.)
Add the milk and reheat.
Garnish with parsley, salt, and pepper



Firstly I melted my homemade butter in the pan.
Then I sliced the onions and leeks. I rinsed these and cooked these in the butter on low for around 10mins till soft.I peeled and diced the potato and added these to the pan.
Then I got a £1 bag of smart price frozen cauliflower not fresh as these are over a £ in the shops at the moment and are only tiny whereas one big enough for this recipe was £1.80 odd in A£da yesterday, and tipped this into the pan with a litre of basics stock.I used 3 cubes.
I let this all simmer until soft, giving it a stir now and then. Don't forget to add salt if you want to.

     

After about 25 minutes (instead of the milk),  I added a little double cream and some plain yoghurt that was lurking in the fridge and whizzed it with the stick blender until smooth.
I got 4 decent sized bowls full with another 2 bowls left over for freezing. And it tasted nice.  Lovely Jubbly.

I went to the farm shop today to get some eggs as my girls are not laying at the moment. While I was there I saw some big onions and nice leeks so I bought a few of both and used 2 of these leeks and 1 of the onions in the soup.
Bye for now. 

4 comments:

  1. that looks yummy, I love cauliflower soup.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried cauliflower soup before, never thought about it until I saw the photo of it on 'Simply Cooked' s blog.

    There are some nice recipes that you sent me that I can use as soon as I get my slow cooker delivered I will try and post on here. Thanks Gill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Sounds delicious. Would be great for kids too, to sneak all those vitamins in their food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll have a go at this as I've got some frozen cauli in the freezer. Today I concocted leek and potato soup and it's all gone.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete