Monday, 28 November 2011

A Few Of My Frugal Ways

Hello Readers, and thank you for all your kind comments so far and thank you for following me.

I thought today I would list a few of my frugal ways although I know that probably most of you do some or all of them it may give some of you a few ideas.

1. When cooking on the hob I always keep the lids on as this keeps the heat in to save energy and the food cooks quicker.

2. I usually start off with boiling water from the kettle to save the gas and also my time.

3. I keep a few chickens so cooked and raw peelings are fed to them. What they can't eat goes onto the compost heap. (Not cooked food though.)

4. Veg cooks quicker when cut up small so I try to do this.

5. After using the oven, if it's cold I leave the oven door open to heat the room.

6. I can't afford to have the heating on much so if it's already on I will turn it off before starting to cook a main evening meal and until we have finished eating as I find we don't notice its cooler while the oven is on and we are being warmed from inside as we are eating. Also I think appetites seem better and less picky.

7. If we are just watching television, we cover ourselves with quilts or blankets.

8. As the light fades I draw the curtains, especially in bedrooms and other rooms not being used at that time of day to keep the heat in.

9. When straining boiled veg, the water goes straight into a bowl or jug to make gravy or cheese/parsley sauce. This saves energy and also some of the vitamins that are otherwise lost in the cooking water. Any extra strained water is cooled and frozen in a margerine or ice cream tub to make gravy or stock another day.

10. I re-use plastic carrier bags for rubbish as that saves the black refuse bags from splitting which would mean using two.

11. I always try to fill my pans to the top even if we don't need that much food cooked at the time because I will freeze it ready cooked for another day. This saves energy and time.

Thats all I can think of tonight. I will add more another day.Has anyone any money or time saving ideas they would like to share?

P.S. Will pop back later if I get the opportunity, to upload a photo of my recent knitting project, my first attempt at a moebius scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment